Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Proust was a neuroscientist"

I can not say that I was surprised by anything I read as far as sight being art and seeing what we want to see, more or less.  I was not very familiar with Paul Cezanne's work prior to this and had no idea about his biography.  The whole idea of loading your wheelbarrow full of your own art to push around and attempt to sell is romanticized by Paris' classic streets and bridges.  It's absolutely a time in history I would love to be able to go back to and be an artist in Paris although I would not be an impressionist.  I would definitely be a sculptor.
"What we see is not real", is more or less the conclusion of the story.  I think that's putting it in extreme terms and maybe a bit to existential for me to swear by however I understand the root of it.  I have thought about the sight phenomenon several times, mainly with colors. Is my black your black or do you see a color purple when you say black.  In other words, my green may be your red but you call it green and if I were to wear your eyes (and have my brain) I would call red because thats the color I see as red.  It's somewhat poorly put but perhaps one day I'll write a proper academic essay for all the existentialists out there to read!

"Let us be true, even if we are ugly." -Gustave Courbet  

No comments:

Post a Comment